Subject: Re: Profits for freelance work.
From: Kim Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

One thing I've noticed in a lot of these game ads is that the artist 
isn't going to get any money up front, but instead a share of the 
"profits" if indeed there are any. Many people are following the ID/Doom 
method of game marketing, and while I think it's not a bad way to put out 
a game, I think that you need a great/original idea to be successful 
(like Doom was).

Can you make money doing this? Possibly, but if you're going to work on a 
contingency basis, make sure you have money saved up to fall back on, in 
case the profit never materializes.

As far as freelancing goes, I'd like to know where all the jobs are. I 
keep hearing 3D animators are in short supply, especially here in LA. 
I've been animating for five years, have worked on a lot of different 
projects, written a bunch of magazine articles on the subject, and can't 
find a job to save my life. Are animators in short supply, or is it 
animators who will work for no money (I can find plenty of these jobs) 
that people are looking for?

Dave Thomas
Moving Pixels
"I haven't actually read your script, but I have 
some questions about it" - Actual client quote                          
[email-masked]

--
Kim Thomas <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]